An INCAN themed sorcerer king and his kingdom

I´m studying SERIOUSly incan mythos, they differ A LOT from others mythos such as mesoamerican (who inspired Tectuktitlay)

Name: Tongo Capac
Empire: Pichqasuyu
Capital: Chakan
Description: This sorcerer king looks fat, but in fact is as deadly as the other sorcerer kings
His capital Chakan (It´s inspired in old Qosqo -the real capital from incan empire) is at the antipode of the planet where Tyr are

How to reach Chakan and the empire Pichqasuyu (“5 parts” in Chakan language -it´s quechua if you wanna know-)
The easiest way is to ride one of the colossal creatures near the ocean of silt who are between the 2 continents, some of them are quite peaceful, but all of them never goes near sorcerer cities (they remember the sorcerer king using them as punchbags) colossal rocs and similar mounstrosities

Others ways include found the Horgars´ (massive grey slugs as hot as a volcano) underground tunnels and travel below the ocean of silt (Horgar is in some supplement of Athas)

And real strong use of psychoportive powers can also do the trick

Although that does not means that sorcerer kings dont ask for a fee to doing that, or even forbid that kind of travel

Anyway you need either a great amount of time (old Colombus took 3 to 5 years to reach Central America from Spain) or quite a fast metod of travel (today planes fly near speed of sound, and some today ships travel in the water at similar speed) to reach Pichqasuyu

A gruesome welcoming
Also the travel there is dangerous, most common sickness are unknown in the Tyr region and the Hinterlands of it, so any creature must survive any of the sickness they found there to consider acclimated to the Pichqasuyu region,
the contrary is also true so if you come from Pichqasuyu to the Tyr region so any creature must survive any of the sickness they found in the Tyr region to consider acclimated to the new region,

Weapon differences
Some types of weapons do NOT exists on the Pichqasuyu region, those include swords, daggers and similar weapons such as rapiers
The clerics ALWAYS use axes instead of maces, and the most common weapon is the mace (and their variations) for gladiators, fighters and others characters
There also no big headed axes or maces, instead the grip part is larger so you get more lever, (in game terms is only a cosmetic variation so use the morning star stats for a long pole mace, for example)

(i will post more later)

1 Like

II
Also in Pichqasuyu there are no crossbow of any type

New weapons (inspired in REAL weapons used in incan empire)

• Tumi
    In Pichqasuyu there are a strange type of knife called the tumi, it has a small semicircular end. It not make piercing damage, cause with a semicircular movement you can cut like a sword (who as previously said do NOT exist in Pichqasuyu -unless a foreign brings one-)
  • Waraka
    Waraka is just a big sling, it uses pellets (reference: as big as a hen egg) consider they do damage as a crossbow
  • Ayllo
    that is not a weapon but a strong rope made of avaliable materials (such as giant hair) this rope replaces the handle of weapons, so they are used in a circular movement pattern
2 Likes

Updates:
How to reach Chakan and the empire Pichqasuyu
Somewhat cloudrays can be trained to reach Chakan

1 Like

Thread Necromancy:

This is a fun idea, let me spew some (3.5e era) mechanics at this, and see if we can get some playability out of it.

Chakan would be the City State, so I’ll call the area the Chakan region.

Weapons:
• Axes in the Chakan region will be called Champi and do bludgeoning damage. The word Champi replaces Axe in the weapon’s name (Hand Champi, Battle Champi, Great Champi, etc.). These would be referred to as Chakan Maces by outsiders (people from the Tablelands). https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1c/Porra_inca.jpg/220px-Porra_inca.jpg
• Maces in the Chakan region will be called Axes and do slashing damage (Light Axe, Heavy Axe). These would be referred to as Chakan Axes by outsiders (people from the Tablelands).
• The Tumi is a less refined version the Widow’s Knife. It is otherwise identical to a Dagger. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DgDcKdlX0AEyqnQ.jpg
• The Waraka is an advanced type of Sling that uses. It is functionally identical to a Crossbow, but deals bludgeoning damage (Light Waraka, Heavy Waraka). There is no equivalent to the Hand Crossbow. These would be referred to as Great Slings by outsiders (people from the Tablelands).
• Ayllo becomes a descriptive prefix for Swords in the Chakan region (Short Ayllo-Sword, Long Ayllo-Sword, Great Ayllo-Sword, Ayllo-Scimitar). They are mechanically unchanged (except for the weapon’s hardness/hp, etc).

Characters from the Chakan region:
• Treat standard (PHB/ DS Rules) swords and similar weapons (Dagger, Longsword, Scimitar, Rapier, etc) as Exotic weapons.
• Are proficient with Champi if they would be proficient with the equivalent type of Axe (they’re mostly Martial weapons in 3.5e)
• Are proficient with Chakan Axes if they would be proficient with the equivalent type of Mace (they’re mostly Simple weapons in 3.5e)
• Are proficient with Waraka if they would be proficient with the equivalent type of Crossbow (they’re mostly Martial weapons in 3.5e). They still treat the Hand Crossbow as an Exotic weapon.

Characters from outside the Chakan region:
• Treat Champi, Chakan Axes, Waraka, and Ayllo-Swords as Exotic weapons.

1 Like

This is a wonderful idea! There’s a lot that could be built from this.

As for a location: I say we put Pichqasuyu on the strip of land northeast of the Sundered Lands and northwest of the Northern Cauldron (on F5 on the ACG map):

http://ds.daegmorgan.net/

The mountainous terrain called for in that area works well, and it is all very far away from anything anywhere else.

1 Like

We should come up with a reasonable explanation for why a sorcerer king settled so far from Rajaat’s prison, when all the others stayed relatively close.
If he was a traitor who turned his back on his peers I doubt Borys and the others would have tolerated his existance, so maybe there is something else in that specific area that justifies him being there.
I support f5 as the city’s location (I like that land bridge location for a mesoamerican/southamerican type city)

Possible explanations could be:
•he guards something or someone tied to that location
•there is a special material or resource there that either borys requires, or the Sk don’t want anyone else to have access to (perhaps there is a metal there that the former champions are vulnerable to, the same one from which the scourge of rkard is made of)
• he holds the land bridge as a strategic point to fend off something

2 Likes

Perhaps he’s the only ruler that has discovered the secret of taming a cloud ray. They usually go nuts when psionic control is attempted… the amount of collateral damage a SK could do with a dozen rays and a small army on top might be enough to dissuade even the Dragon from demanding the Levy there.

1 Like

He could have just “Nope”-ed out of the fight with Rajaat. He’d be too far away to bother the other SK’s.

He’s not going to influence things in the Tablelands and as long as he’s not a threat, they don’t need to assassinate him.

On one hand, you’re right, and the concept of a champion who fled the fight with rajaat is cool, but SM tends to be vindictive, especially over something as big as not helping to fight the first sorcerer, so if they let him be, the area he is in right now must be a special kind of hell for them to be content with leaving him there to suffer for all eternity.
Also, wouldn’t not participating in the fight means that he can’t grant spells to templars?

The vindictiveness of SMs is i think an interpretation, not a fact. I’d say they’re pragmatic and if a brutal overblown response is the right answer to the situation, they’ll do it.

I suppose that depends on what version of DS you’re into. If you’re a Living Vortex/Champions made the Dragon person (I am, generally) then yes, he couldn’t grant Templar spells. And I’m not specifically pitching this Incan SM as non-Templar.

I’m mostly just pitching ideas.

1 Like

So am I, which is why I’ve brought the templar issue, because we need to give it a thought

1 Like

Does this sorcerer-king necessarily need spellcasting templars? What if they had some other minions/flunkies that are uniquely different from templars.

Incan warriors were known as rumiñawi which loosely translates to “stone eye” or “rock face”. What if instead of being granted spells from this monarch, they gained earth like abilities from an elemental spirit bound by the SK.

3 Likes

I know its not inca, but now I really want an arid plateau covered with nasca line like geoglyphs which are actually the arcane bonds by which the SK binds the spirit of the land to his will so as to empower his stone eye warriors.
Obviously, this “Forbidden Plateau” would be off limit to all but the SK himself, as interfering with the lines in any way may free the spirit

3 Likes

How about this:

What if this guy is powerful like a sorcerer king, but not a sorcerer king per se?

He’s an epic spellcaster, but never was involved in the cleansing war?

It would certainly simplify his presence…

But that WOULD require a different power structure than in the City States of the Tablelands. I’m not against it though.

Well, wouldn’t that be expected for a different continent?

Or did the Dragon Kings scatter around the planet?

Maybe, maybe not.

Depends how many SMs there are. All the known ones are in the Tablelands.

My Head-Canon says there several dozens of SM’s out there, scattered in other continents and so on. Probably there are some city-states or kingdoms that are run by other types of advanced beings, such as Elemental Lords, I can sea a lush verdant paradise managed by a Spirit of the Land and a Druidic Circle as his ‘templars’ with their own version of oppressions dressed in freedoms, etc

3 Likes

Blockquote

I like the idea of using Elemental Lords in stead of SMs for locations distant from the Tyr Region. I had an idea of a civilization dwelling on volcanic islands somewhere in the middle of the Sea of Silt that was ruled by a Paraelemental Lord of volcano. Perhaps with a culture based on Pacific Islanders. Maybe that’s a little cliche, but no more so than the other civilizations in DS.

2 Likes

I’m with you on that one, sorcerer kings should be something that’s unique to the tyr region and its immediate proximity, because of history and meta plot reasons, and while one far away sorcerer king is excusable, I’m againt making it a common theme as it goes against existing canon in a major way.
And besides, making the SMs a tyr region thing gives other advanced being a chance to shine in other parts of the world.
As for the lord of the volcano and the island chain, I think that a great idea. Remember that basic ideas always sounds a bit cliche, its how you elaborate them that counts

2 Likes