Athas.org's original charter: 3.x development

By the way, completely off topic side comment, but SJG finally got the rights to Autoduel back from EA, due to the efforts of a certain someone.

1 Like

Who? Did you have something to do with it?

I know who it is, but as Mr. Jackson has not yet made the details of the matter public, other than the successful recovery, as mentioned here: Daily Illuminator: Wanted Ā– Autoduel Source Code! , I shall forbear. I just think it is cool they got the IP back. Rather rare in this day and age.

2 Likes

Since this thread is 143 comments deep, and I cannot find what youā€™re talking about releasing, I figured Iā€™d just ask-- what is it youā€™re looking to release?

2 Likes

You mean what everyone is asking me to release? If so, that is the v8 of the core Dark Sun pdf. As Iā€™ve mentioned, itā€™s just a edit check, no significant changes on my part.

2 Likes

Grummore released his bookmark corrected version of DS Core Rules 3.5 and the sky didnā€™t come crashing down.

3 Likes

At this point nobody cares. Its been literally years.

4 Likes

Am I supposed to thank you for calling me a nobody?

1 Like

Lol. Good for the sky, Iā€™m glad it didnā€™t fall. The sky falling would be rather inconvenient for the lifeforms still extant thereupon.

1 Like

Seems like you are taking this personal, donā€™t. Itā€™s not meant that way.

But since you mentioned it, this is a fan site, no amount of interpretation of the charter is going to change that. It is no longer official, hasnā€™t been since 4E Dark Sun was published in August 2010 and this is pretty obvious.

'Should the intellectual property currently being supported by the official website be brought back into print, the official status of the web site will be removed and Wizards of the Coast will begin creating new content to support the relaunch of the game (or work with the current official site to migrate content over). - They created their own game (4e) and additional products as well as articles via Dragon and Dungeon magazines. - At no point did they confer with this site on anything. Raddu has pretty much said this as well.

3 Likes

While weā€™re on the subject, exactly how much does the official mandate matter anymore?

Dark Sun is 30 years old this year. WotC has shown indifference thus far to even making proper psionics, let alone resurrecting this IP with its contentious themes. Indeed, they shot down the closest anyone has come to resurrecting it, and rebuffed efforts to purchase the IP (so itā€™s currently in Development Hell). If they do ever get around to resurrecting it, we can consider just about everything official this community made as ā€œreclaimed and shelvedā€ at best, and changed into something shockingly different at worst.

Moreover, this latest update of the DS Rules weā€™re discussing is for 3.x edition-- an edition so many editions behind the times, even Pathfinder has moved on.

Iā€™m not intending any of this as a denigration of what weā€™re doing here, but rather as a call for liberation. If the world has left us behind (as it seems it has), that would means we now have freedom to do what we want with this at last. So why not use that freedom?

We may not have this freedom forever, thatā€™s true, but we have it now donā€™t we?

2 Likes

Nope, not taking it personally.

That was intended as humorously questioning your phrasing, and a bit of poking at you for not seemingly recognizing that itā€™s important to me with said phrasing.

2 Likes

I wonder. The wording of the license could go either way. It could mean that if 3rd edition Dark Sun was brought back into print, as opposed to any edition. After all 4e does not equal 3e, not even the same game system really. On the other hand, it could mean any edition, which means nothing can be official anymore under the Charter.

Shrugs

In any case, the material has been sent over to and is with Flip and Raddu. Unless they ask me to revise something or work on something else I am interested in, that project is finished and has been turned in. Or if they give me access to release it on this site, thatā€™s fine too. So go request it of them, please?

As previously expressed, my interest was solely in releasing 3rd edition style psionics stuff, preferably officially. The Charter is, or was, a way to do that. If the Charter is truly no more, then so be it. But that kinda kills my interest in trying to release any more of my content here.

To put it bluntly, I have never been a Dark Sun fan, no offense intended to those that are, nor to the creative minds who have given so much keeping it alive for so long - truly worthy of respect. I salute you all.

I am a psionics fan, and a 3e/d20 fan (despite the problems both the psionic and game systems have). The Charter, and the 3e rules content was originally the only reason I hung out here.

That changed over time because there are some brilliant and engaging people here that I enjoy hanging out with and debating and discussing stuff with, so thatā€™s really my current reason for sticking around. Iā€™m honestly glad to know all of you, thank you for influencing my life for the better.

I guess Iā€™m more beating the Charter drum thing out of hope for change. Since it seems to be more of a bother to everyone, and no one else appears to believe in it, then Iā€™ll try to keep quiet about the Charter from now on.

But I do hope to continue on here chatting with everyone, so as they say in Japan: yoroshiku ne!

1 Like

This IS a pretty likely place for 3.Xe psionics to end up/get discussed. Itā€™s DS or Eberron, really.

Other than a rebuild or comprehensive list of 3.5e psionics (both of which i believe Iā€™ve already seen you promote - no judgment on those), what could you see yourself doing in that realm here?

Personally, Iā€™d say Eff the Charter, but Iā€™m still pro you hanging out / interacting with the site.

How do we let that happen? What do you want to get out of it?

1 Like

I think you underestimate the value of benign neglect in your efforts to force the issue. If the issue is forced, it can only go down one way. Itā€™s perfectly ok to release 3.5e content for DS here. Additional imprimatur beyond that already given is never coming.

2 Likes

I agree with @redking and the others. Your voice has been a helpful one in shaping things for the better here. So it would be a pity to lose it.

My comments about the Charter were not intended to tell you to go away. But rather to encourage you and others to be freer with ideas.

As it stands now, the old guard are almost never here. The few who do come around (Raddu for example) are so busy elsewhere that we seldom see them unless someone draws their attention.

Again, this is not a disrespect to the incumbent templar team, just an observation. Iā€™m not the first nor will I be the last person to say that the Templarate needs at least a couple more new hands-on templars if they want more active management of membership. But thatā€™s up to their prerogative.

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad you are not taking this personally, you know I never intend it as such.

I also love the 3.X psionics and of course i do love DS as a setting. For me Dreamscarred Press version is really good.

I actually would prefer if folks donā€™t put stuff here thinking they will be official products . Save your stuff for 5E and the DMG.

2 Likes

Just do it.

_1512076803_93_Nike-preview

2 Likes

I am working on a project now and for the past few months. (A good chunk of the reason why I have been relatively quiet recently.) Books one and two are 90% finished, book three is around 10%, and the rest of the books are at 5% or less.

I am republishing an old game, the specific version of which has never before been released in book format. A lot of editing and typesetting work, basically.

And you are eager to tell us what it is no? :thinking: :sweat_smile: