Defiler Metamorphosis I and II

eyes of fire actually. :slight_smile: Myron actually has it stated in LoA. I could use that or a gaze attack version.
Having Nibenay have signature spells makes sense.
What about Lalali-Puy?

I would probably make a statistically more relevant version of this, but I like the idea.

1 Like

I’m talking about the end part of Rise when the eyes of the lion king strike Hamanu. Did Hamanu himself actually have Myron’s eyes of fire?

It depends. Is Lalali-Puy a dragon type, or a fey type via the altered beast salient feat? Anyway, perhaps her long nails have a venomous attack.

1 Like

Yep. I have the book open in front of me. He used it at least twice off screen in the past. He was so disturbed by it at the time that he tried to kill himself after the second time (he failed, obviously).

Are you talking about the when Hamanu is a raging dragon and tries to breach the city walls, and the eyes on images of him channel the Spirit of Urik’s power? Because if you are talking about when he finally meets the guardian as a mortal at the very end, there is nothing like what you describe.

She’s a dragon in my stats above, though I could swap something for altered beast. Poison seems fine, though I’d have to check what sorts of things a metamorphosis granted poison could do.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I am talking about. He gets blasted by eye lasers and falls on his back.

Poison is listed under venomous attack. You could just make it part of her claw attack.

She doesn’t have to be fey. I think dragon is fine, and actually has more pathos. Especially if we are considering her thrall spirit of the land to be a thing.

1 Like

Found that. Still, he “canonically” has eyes of fire, even if he doesn’t like using it. As I said, either works.

…? Not quite sure what this is supposed to mean.

Oh yes.

Found it. Thanks.

The idea of a spirit of the land being in thrall to a dragon has more emotional resonance than being in thrall of a fellow fey.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense.

1 Like

By the way @Bdmdragon, you should start a new thread for your Sorcerer Monarchs.

1 Like

Speaking of the Advanced Being subtype, what creatures under your rules will classify as Advanced Beings? For example, will Clerical Elementals and Spirit Initiates be Advanced Beings or merely follow some form of revised prestige class? Do you have any plans to do anything with Shadow Shifters (LoA)?

1 Like

Athas dot org chose not to implement advanced being rules for clerics and druids. The clerical type advanced beings appear only as rules in 2E Dragon Kings, and make no appearance in any Dark Sun products as an NPC. To me this says that the clerical advanced beings were an afterthought. I agree with Athas dot org’s decision. That said, my framework can easily apply to clerical advanced beings without any alteration. If someone wants to do the work, that’s ok by me.

My preference however is for a purely clerical transformation that isn’t an advanced being. A feat like ‘elemental leadership’ in which the clerical ‘elemental lord’ attracts followers of its elemental subtype would be great flavor.

No, because the shadow power source for magic doesn’t exist in my headcanon. But my advanced being framework works perfectly for them. Someone just has to work out the psionic enchantments.

1 Like

I have had a think about it, and can offer a middle ground approach to clerical transformations combined with psionics. How?

Quite simply, epic clerics possessing epic psionic abilities can cast psionic enchantments, but because divine magic does not blend quite as well with psionics as arcane magic, they can never apply the advanced being subtype using their spells. What this means is that while they can cast psionic enchantments based on the metamophosis seed and undergo changes, they never access advanced being salient feats.

I think this is an excellent compromise, and I think I will roll it into my framework. Below, the psiotheology skill. Its a pared down divine version of the psiotheurgy skill.

Psiotheology [Epic] [Psionic Enchantment]

This feat gives access to the skill Knowledge (psiotheology), which is psionic enchantment as a field of study. Psiotheology enhances the characters ability to use metamorphosis magic and divine epic spells when those spells are bolstered by expending an epic power slot at the same time.

Prerequisite: Epic spellcasting, epic manifesting, Spellcraft 24 ranks. Knowledge (religion OR nature). Psicraft 24 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 24 ranks.

Benefit: The character can now take ranks in the Knowledge (psiotheology) skill. Each rank of Knowledge (psiotheology) provides +1 psiotheology bonus to Spellcraft checks of epic spells using the if an epic power slot is expended while casting the epic spell.

Gentle Metamorphosis (Ex): You can use the metamorphosis spell on yourself or another creature without the spell counting towards the maximum 10 uses of metamorphosis that a single creature can withstand. When casting gentle metamorphosis, you may not use a focus structure (a singular exception for the Pristine Tower). You can cast one additional metamorphosis on an individual (or yourself) without counting against the ten-time limit once for every 12 ranks you have in this skill.

Psiotheology benefits do not stack with psiotheurgy and vice versa.

New Skill: Knowledge (psiotheology).

This skill grants knowledge of divine magical and psionic manipulation. There are no skill checks for this skill. Each rank in this skill provides +1 psiotheology bonus to Spellcraft checks of epic spells using the if an epic power slot is expended while casting the epic spell.

1 Like

On the old wizards forum, templar advanced beings were discussed - including with members of the Epic Bureau. I think what I have in the post above is an honorable compromise.

I changed some details in the metamorphosis seed.

Metamorphosis Seed

Metamorphosis is the application of arcane magic combined with psionics and is a form of psionic enchantment (lesser forms of psionic enchantment can be seen in feats such as Arcane Augmentation). Spells using the metamorphosis seed mutate a creature on a natural level. The normal use of this seed is to change physically between different subtypes of the same creature type. This also allows for cosmetic changes like the addition/reduction of fur/scales/feathers or changing height or weight within the same size category. More drastic changes increase the base DC, which varies by the type of change involved, as shown on the table below.

Both arcane magic and divine magic blends with psionics and can use the metamorphosis seed, but only the blending of arcane magic and psionics can produce an advanced being – meaning only a epic arcane spellcaster and psionicist can apply the advanced being subtype to itself. Divine/psionic characters capable of epic divine spells and epic powers can use metamorphosis, but never gain access to the advanced being subtype, and thus never gain salient feats.

consider my vote a firm “no” on this discussion. (15 years too late to matter :grinning: but hey)

1 Like

Yep.

That said, divine spellcasters could still do some cool things with the metamorphosis seed, and still cast psionic enchantments like they could in Dragon Kings under my revision.

1 Like

Are these the most recent metamorphosis spells? Is there a document that contains these that I missed? Full disclosure, I did not reread all 185 posts here. :grimacing:

1 Like

Haha.

I think you can go with the Legends of Athas version. With my updated framework, there is no need anymore for my version of the metamorphosis. Everything is accomplished through the salient feats.

So, to gain the Advanced Being designation and Evolution Score, you need to cast one of the metamorphosis spells still (and progress from I - X), and we are using the ones in LoA for that process?

I have notes from all over, and I’m confused on which set is the most recent.

Yes - but ignore the Legends of Athas prerequisite for the metamorphosis first spell, which if I recall correctly requires some levels in the dragon prestige class also from LoA.

1. Cast Dragon or Avangion metamorphosis spell 1.
  2. Apply the advanced being trait from my latest document.
  3. Determine evolution score, which is character level +2 for every rank of metamorphosis. Consult the table for the number of salient feats.

One addendum to LOA: No advanced being will drop under 10 Dexterity due to size increases.

1 Like

Ok, got it.

I’ve got the frame for the new Athasian Cerebremancer leading into the first metamorphosis spell, so I’ll get that up soon. Debating on whether or not to incorporate the StP Psion ACF seen elsewhere on here as well. I think it’s too fear-starved to make it work, but I could be wrong.

With the salient feats, it’s about obtaining class features and ML/CL, so that’s where all the pre-reqs go.

1 Like