Defiler Metamorphosis I and II

On the old wizards forum, templar advanced beings were discussed - including with members of the Epic Bureau. I think what I have in the post above is an honorable compromise.

I changed some details in the metamorphosis seed.

Metamorphosis Seed

Metamorphosis is the application of arcane magic combined with psionics and is a form of psionic enchantment (lesser forms of psionic enchantment can be seen in feats such as Arcane Augmentation). Spells using the metamorphosis seed mutate a creature on a natural level. The normal use of this seed is to change physically between different subtypes of the same creature type. This also allows for cosmetic changes like the addition/reduction of fur/scales/feathers or changing height or weight within the same size category. More drastic changes increase the base DC, which varies by the type of change involved, as shown on the table below.

Both arcane magic and divine magic blends with psionics and can use the metamorphosis seed, but only the blending of arcane magic and psionics can produce an advanced being ā€“ meaning only a epic arcane spellcaster and psionicist can apply the advanced being subtype to itself. Divine/psionic characters capable of epic divine spells and epic powers can use metamorphosis, but never gain access to the advanced being subtype, and thus never gain salient feats.

consider my vote a firm ā€œnoā€ on this discussion. (15 years too late to matter :grinning: but hey)

1 Like

Yep.

That said, divine spellcasters could still do some cool things with the metamorphosis seed, and still cast psionic enchantments like they could in Dragon Kings under my revision.

1 Like

Are these the most recent metamorphosis spells? Is there a document that contains these that I missed? Full disclosure, I did not reread all 185 posts here. :grimacing:

1 Like

Haha.

I think you can go with the Legends of Athas version. With my updated framework, there is no need anymore for my version of the metamorphosis. Everything is accomplished through the salient feats.

So, to gain the Advanced Being designation and Evolution Score, you need to cast one of the metamorphosis spells still (and progress from I - X), and we are using the ones in LoA for that process?

I have notes from all over, and Iā€™m confused on which set is the most recent.

Yes - but ignore the Legends of Athas prerequisite for the metamorphosis first spell, which if I recall correctly requires some levels in the dragon prestige class also from LoA.

1. Cast Dragon or Avangion metamorphosis spell 1.
  2. Apply the advanced being trait from my latest document.
  3. Determine evolution score, which is character level +2 for every rank of metamorphosis. Consult the table for the number of salient feats.

One addendum to LOA: No advanced being will drop under 10 Dexterity due to size increases.

1 Like

Ok, got it.

Iā€™ve got the frame for the new Athasian Cerebremancer leading into the first metamorphosis spell, so Iā€™ll get that up soon. Debating on whether or not to incorporate the StP Psion ACF seen elsewhere on here as well. I think itā€™s too fear-starved to make it work, but I could be wrong.

With the salient feats, itā€™s about obtaining class features and ML/CL, so thatā€™s where all the pre-reqs go.

1 Like

People hate StP here. Iā€™d probably allow it, but also require that StP requires drawing energy from plants as a defiler or preserver.

:man_shrugging: I like it, I think itā€™s thematic. I wonā€™t go out of my way to incorporate it, but itā€™s a neat tool.

Ok. Iā€™ll build this out prior to the metamorphosis spell and after. Iā€™m ignoring WBL (because thatā€™s no achievable until like level 33 or 35 for the structure and development costs, I think?).

1 Like

Yeah. WBL was never a consideration by the Legends of Athas team. Under my framework, WBL becomes rather irrelevant for advanced beings anyway through the mystical reservoir. With enough time, they can produce all the natural materials they need through psionic true creation.

I give up on the Legends of Athas homebrew epic spell seed. Itā€™s just fundamentally unworkable. Instead Iā€™ve decided to use canon epic spell and epic power seeds creatively. By ditching this homebrew seed, Iā€™ve been able to streamline the entire process of creating the spells for the metamorphosis. Here are the first few preserver spells to turn into an avangion.

Preserver Metamorphosis Series of Spells

The Preserver Metamorphosis series of spells charts a transformational journey that is distinctively different from its darker counterpart, the Defiler Metamorphosis. Unlike the defilerā€™s metamorphosis, which relies on the devastating practice of defilingā€”brutally draining the life essence from Athas itselfā€”the Avangion Metamorphosis draws upon ambient and cosmic energies, interacting harmoniously with Athas and its celestial environs.

This profound difference in the source of magical energy results in transformations that are significantly different in pace and impact. The Avangion Metamorphosis, aligning with natural and celestial rhythms, occurs gradually, progressing step by step in response to particular cosmological circumstances. The timing of celestial alignments, the passing of comets, and other astronomical phenomena, plays a crucial role in this transformational process. Each of these unique events generates specific energies, which the preserver taps into to fuel their metamorphosis.

This reliance on cosmic and ambient energies means that the preserverā€™s path is intrinsically slower and more patient, requiring a precise synchronization with cosmic cycles. However, the rewards of this approach extend beyond personal transformation. As these spells interact symbiotically with the world, the preserverā€™s metamorphosis is not merely non-destructiveā€”it actively contributes to the revitalization of Athas.

Each preserver metamorphosis spell has a prerequisite event that must be met, and isnā€™t part of the spell construction costs but a prerequisite to the success of the spell.

Preserver Metamorphosis I
Transmutation/Metacreativity (psionic enchantment)

Spellcraft DC: 57 DC
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target, effect or area: Personal
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: N/A
Spell Resistance: No

To develop: 513,000 Cp, 11 days, 20,520 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 1 (100 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). 5,000,000 Cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 6700 XP (-67 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Solar Zenith. Happens daily at midday, the point when the sun is at its peak, producing an influx of universal energy. The preserver uses this plentiful energy to initiate their transformation, awakening their true potential. The solar zenith lasts for an hour.

The energy of life swirls around you and begins to infuse your form. The world looks different through your eyes now as you begin your new existence.
This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting

This spell initiates your transformation into the transcendent state known as Avangion, signifying your elevation to an advanced being. Depending on your alignment, your creature type alters: if you are good or neutral, you become a fey, gaining low-light vision; if you are evil, you transform into an aberration, acquiring darkvision up to 60 feet. You lose all previous types and adopt all advantages of your new classification. Simultaneously, you gain the trait of an advanced being and begin to accumulate evolution scores. You embark on a unique path, becoming one of the most potent entities on Athas and unlocking the potential to attain salient feats exclusive to advanced beings.

As an advanced being, you acquire immunities to disease, sleep, energy drain, ability drain, paralysis, polymorphing, petrification, or any other attack that alters your form. You also become proficient with your natural weapons. The limitations of mortality no longer bind you: you can no longer die of old age, nor do you suffer penalties to your attributes due to aging. You become self-sustaining, with no requirement to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep.

Also you gain the following Supernatural (Su) abilities at will: tongues, discern lies, detect chaos/evil/good/law, caster level equal to character level. As supernatural abilities, they bypass spell resistance.

This epic spell can only be cast while preserving. The spell must be cast within a specialized focus structure designed specifically for the first three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 5,000,000 Cp. This focus structure is actually a purified area that has been untouched by defiling, and the cost is made up of the remains (ash, physical remains, artifacts, etcā€¦) of enemies of life. I.e. high-level defilers and the like. Physically you change very little, save possibly gaining slightly more noble features or your eyes may take on a gold or silver sheen.

Your newfound evolution score provides you access to powerful abilities, known as salient feats. Each of these feats amplifies your capabilities beyond the understanding of ordinary beings. As your evolution score increases, so too does your capacity to acquire more of these feats, consistently expanding your formidable array of powers. Each Avangion, though sharing the common title, remains distinct, their transcendence shaping them in unique ways.

Suggested salient feat: immortal grace. Mystical reservoir. Superior species. Superior Skill Mastery.

Preserver Metamorphosis II

Spellcraft DC: 67 DC

To develop: 513,000 Cp, 11 days, 20,520 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 1 (110 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). 5,000,000 Cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 6700 XP (-67 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Full Appearance of the Guardian Constellation. Occurs once every 10 years when the ā€œGuardianā€ constellation is fully visible in the night sky. The preserver channels this resonant energy, guiding it to catalyze the next stage of their metamorphosis. The full appearance lasts for a week.

As the energy around joins with you, your skins starts to glow and your hair turns white, you can feel the life force strengthening and protecting you.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting. The spell must be cast within the specialized focus structure designed specifically for the first three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 5,000,000 Cp.

This spell transforms you into the second stage towards becoming an avangion. At this stage your defensive nature starts to manifest, allowing you to gain a +1 deflection bonus. Finally, you gain the ability to Change Shape (Su) into a small, medium or large creature.

Physically your skin takes on a metallic glow similar to your eyes, and any hair you have turns pure white.

Suggested salient feat: salient damage reduction.

Preserver Metamorphosis III

Spellcraft DC: 77 DC

To develop: 513,000 Cp, 11 days, 20,520 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 1 (120 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). 5,000,000 Cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 6700 XP (-67 DC).

Prerequisite Event: The Shadow Eye. This alignment happens once every 30 years when certain planets align, creating an optical illusion in the sky. The preserver taps into these energy fluctuations, using them to guide and fuel their transformation. This alignment lasts for about a week.

As the life force of the spell joins with you, glimmering wings sprout from your back, lifting you off the ground. Your skin takes on a radiant shimmer, erasing any doubt that you are anything but a being of life and magic.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting. The spell must be cast within the specialized focus structure designed specifically for the first three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 5,000,000 Cp.

At this pivotal stage, the Avangion earns the gift of flight as an Extraordinary (Ex) ability, with a fly speed of 60 feet per round and good maneuverability.

Suggested salient feat: Spell/Power Resistance.

1 Like

Here is the next three.

Preserver Metamorphosis IV

Spellcraft DC: 87 DC

To develop: 648,000 Cp, 13 days, 25,920 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 4 (150 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). 12,500,000 Cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 8700 XP (-87 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Emergence of the Emerald Star. This celestial event happens once every 60 years when a rare celestial body is visible. The preserver captures this influx of celestial energies, redirecting it into the transformative processes they are undergoing. The appearance lasts for about a month.

As the final words of the spell escape your lips, a profound metamorphosis takes hold. The hair on your body cascades to the ground, a symbol of shedding your old self. The energy surrounding you grants a deep insight into your true nature. In this moment, you sense your inner power surging, as if awakened from a dormant state. A surge of confidence courses through your being, matched by the physical manifestation of your new form.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting

The Sanctum of Life serves as the primary focus structure for stages four through seven of the preserverā€™s metamorphosis. It is an underground construction, embodying the harmony between the resilience of stone and the nurturing essence of nature.

At the heart of the Sanctum is an imposing obelisk, crafted from sacred stones known for their unique resonance with cosmic energies. The obelisk, positioned partially above the ground, captures the sunā€™s energy and channels it into the subterranean part of the Sanctum, infusing the underground structure with life-giving energy.

Beneath the surface, the obelisk is surrounded by a rich assortment of flora, forming a living tapestry around the stone. The vibrant plants thrive on the sun energy delivered by the obelisk, creating a lush, verdant environment that attracts a myriad of insects and small animals. These creatures, in their turn, contribute to the Sanctumā€™s energy, forming a thriving ecosystem that resonates with cosmic and ambient energies.

During significant astrological events, the flora adorning the obelisk responds to the cosmic energies. The blossoms open, absorbing these celestial forces and transmitting them through the obelisk and into the ground beneath. This synergy between stone, flora, and fauna creates a potent field of life-affirming energy within the Sanctum, allowing the preserver to tap into this energy reserve during each stage of their transformation. The stored energy helps catalyze their metamorphosis.

The creation of a Sanctum of Life is an investment both in time and resources, with a cost of 12,500,000 ceramic pieces. This cost covers the extensive magical and mundane materials required for the construction of the obelisk, along with the careful selection and maintenance of the diverse flora and fauna that inhabit the Sanctum. Despite the significant effort and cost, the establishment of a Sanctum is a pivotal step in a preserverā€™s journey to Avangion transformation.

.As the metamorphosis deepens, the Avangionā€™s deflection bonus to AC increases further to +3.

Suggested salient feat: superior spell capacity.

Preserver Metamorphosis V

Spellcraft DC: 97 DC

To develop: 648,000 Cp, 13 days, 25,920 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 4 (160 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). 12,500,000 Cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 8700 XP (-87 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Solar Slumber. This event occurs once every 100 years, a period of diminished solar radiation. The preserver taps into these amplified energies, harnessing this window of heightened universal force to power their metamorphosis. This phenomenon lasts for a few hours.

As the spell reaches its crescendo, the energy enveloping you rushes inward, causing you to ascend from the ground. Your limbs undergo a remarkable transformation, becoming ethereal and translucent, blending harmoniously with the surrounding energy. Simultaneously, you feel your entire being expanding, growing larger in size. Your wings unfurl majestically, spreading to an impressive span, embodying the embodiment of your newfound power and grace.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting. The spell must be cast within the specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp.

At this stage you undergo a size increase which alters some of your ability scores. If you go from medium to large, your stats are altered as follows: +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, -1 AC/Attack (otherwise, check Table: Changes to Statistics by Size).

You also gain the Supernatural (Su) ability to levitate, which is always active, at a manifester level equal to your character level. Your deflection bonus to AC increases to +6.

Suggested salient feat: peerless initiative.

Preserver Metamorphosis VI

Spellcraft DC: 107 DC

To develop: 648,000 Cp, 13 days, 25,920 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 4 (170 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). 12,500,000 Cp focus structure (-50 DC). Burn 8700 XP (-87 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Thinning of the Planes. This event happens once every 150 years when the fabric of reality becomes thinner, bringing the elemental planes metaphysically closer to Athas. During this time, gates to the elemental planes may spawn randomly. The preserver seizes this moment to absorb the surge of elemental energy, integrating it into the next phase of their transformation. This metaphysical event lasts for a week.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting. The spell must be cast within the specialized focus structure designed specifically for the second three preserver metamorphosis spells, costing no less than 12,500,000 Cp.

Once this monumental task is achieved, the Avangionā€™s deflection bonus to AC solidifies at a formidable +8, a testament to their growing resilience.
The Avangionā€™s flight capabilities dramatically enhance at this stage, now boasting a fly speed of 120 feet per round, while maintaining good maneuverability.

Suggested salient feat: perfect preparation.

1 Like

The final four.

Preserver Metamorphosis VII : Transmutation/Metacreativity (psionic enchantment) ;
Spellcraft DC : 117 DC;
Components : V, S, F;
Casting Time : 1 minute;
Target, effect or area : Personal;
Duration : Instantaneous;
Saving Throw : N/A;
Spell Resistance : No;

To develop : 738,000 Cp, 14 days, 29,520 XP. Seed: Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 7 (200 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). Repairs the damage of an epic defiler spell to the land (-50 DC). Burn 10,700XP (-107 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Harmony of the Spheres. Occurs once every 50 years when celestial bodies align in resonance with Athas. The preserver taps into this surge of cosmic energy, drawing upon the amplified cosmic force to propel their transformation. This celestial alignment lasts for a day.

This spell must be cast as a psionic enchantment, meaning an epic psionic power slot must be expended in the casting.

At this, the seventh stage of your metamorphosis, a focus structure is detrimental your continuing metamorphosis, and you are so powerful you have no need of a focus structure anyway. Instead, you assume the Avangionā€™s role as a healer of the land, mending the catastrophic damages caused by an epic defiler spell. This restorative act drastically reduces the energy required for the transformation, manifesting the Avangionā€™s deep-seated dedication to preserving and restoring the balance of nature.

Suggested salient feat: superior hit dice

Preserver Metamorphosis VIII

Spellcraft DC: 127 DC

To develop: 738,000 Cp, 14 days, 29,520 XP. Seed: Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 7 (210 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). Communes with a spirit of the land for 7 days and 7 nights (-50 DC). Burn 10,700XP (-107 DC).

Prerequisite Event: The Verdant Dawn. Happens every 150 years during the first moments of dawn when the sky takes on a vibrant, verdant hue. The preserver channels this surge of energy to trigger the next stage of their metamorphosis. This atmospheric occurrence lasts for a few minutes.

At this, the eighth stage of your metamorphosis, a focus structure is detrimental your continuing metamorphosis, and you are so powerful you have no need of a focus structure anyway. Instead, you must spend seven days and seven nights in deep communion with a spirit of the land. This profound interaction with an embodiment of nature bolsters the Avangionā€™s metamorphosis, enhancing their bond with the land and reducing the energy needed for the transformation. The Avangionā€™s flight speed reaches an astonishing 200 feet per round with perfect maneuverability.

It Is at this stage that the preserver manifests their supernatural aura. This aura manifests as a brilliant radiance of light that extends out to a 100-foot radius, acting as a permanent magic circle against evil as a Supernatural (Su) ability with a caster level equal to the characterā€™s level. Also, your defensive capabilities increase to raise your deflection bonus to +10,

Suggested salient feat: salient fast healing

Preserver Metamorphosis IX

Spellcraft DC: 137 DC
To develop: 738,000 Cp, 14 days, 29,520 XP. Seed: Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 7 (220 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). Gain the assistance of the eldest of the Pyreen in casting the spell (-50 DC). Burn 10,700XP (-107 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Ley Line Convergence. Occurs once every 100 years when multiple ley lines intersect, creating a potent nexus of life-affirming energy. The preserver draws upon this nexus, harnessing the force of the ley lines to fuel their transformation. The convergence lasts for a day.

At this, the ninth stage of your metamorphosis, a focus structure is detrimental your continuing metamorphosis, and you are so powerful you have no need of a focus structure anyway. Instead z you seek the assistance of the eldest of the Pyreen, an ancient and powerful being intimately connected to the natural world. This collaboration ensures the Avangionā€™s commitment to the preservation and sustenance of nature, and their respect for the wisdom of the elder Pyreen. Their cooperation lessens the energy required for the transformation.

At this stage of Preserver Metamorphosis, the preserverā€™s supernatural aura significantly broadens its reach. This radiant light, shimmering with brilliance, now extends out to a 150-foot radius, maintaining its established role as a permanent magic circle against evil.

This aura also develops a new ability similar to the ray of enfeeblement spell, functioning as a Supernatural (Su) ability. All enemy creatures within the radius of the aura are subjected to this effect, incurring a penalty to their Strength equal to 1d6+5. Crucially, this deleterious influence allows neither a saving throw nor spell resistance. Any creature that manages to escape outside the auraā€™s influence is instantly freed from its weakening effect, but are again subject to it if they return. The caster level of this enhanced aura is equivalent to the preserverā€™s character level

Suggested salient feat: superior toughness

Preserver Metamorphosis X

Spellcraft DC: 147 DC

To develop: 828,000 Cp, 17 days, 33,120 XP. Seed: (transmutation) transform (21 DC). Seed: (metacreativity) life 55 DC. Factors: preserver metamorphosis 10 (250 DC). Mitigating factors: Change range to personal (-2 DC). Prolific forestation (-25 DC). Prolific vegetation (-25 DC). Burn 12,700XP (-127 DC).

Prerequisite Event: Tears of Ral and Guthay. This rare occurrence happens every 200 years and sees both moons shedding meteor-like tears that radiate powerful cosmic energy. Lasts for 12 hours.

At this, the tenth and final stage of your metamorphosis, a focus structure is detrimental your continuing metamorphosis, and you are so powerful you have no need of a focus structure anyway. Instead, you must exhibit mastery over the intricate balance of nature and psionic enchantment. It requires the Avangion to first have cast both the prolific vegetation and prolific forestation spells, establishing an enduring, verdant ecosystem that has thrived for at least a century. The vitality of this ecosystem is vital for the transmutation.

The Avangion is tasked with nurturing and protecting this area from defilers, ensuring a constant supply of water and other necessities that sustain the ecosystem, demonstrating the symbiotic harmony between the Avangion and the natural world. Itā€™s through this deep, lasting connection with the land that the Avangion draws the power needed for their ultimate transformation.

Upon successfully casting Preserver Metamorphosis X, the Avangion ascends to their ultimate form, growing a size larger, their flight speed accelerating to a staggering 400 feet per round. The avangion aura advances to its final state with a radius of 200 feet and gains the ability of a globe of invulnerability (caster level equal to your arcane caster level) as a Supernatural (Su) ability in addition to all its other traits.

Their deflection bonus to AC rises to an awe-inspiring +12, cementing the Avangionā€™s stature as an unparalleled being of power and resilience.
Your size increases by 1 category, gaining all the inherent features thereof. If your size increases from Large to Huge for instance, you would gain +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +3 Natural Armor, and -1 on attack/AC.

Suggested salient feat: Evolved Immunities (ability damage).

1 Like