Fortress Beetle stats

If you plan to use ssurrans of if your PC are going in the area of the Scorched Plateau, here is my attempt for the stats of the Fortress Beetle :

Fortress beetle

Huge Vermin
Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (85 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-2 size, +13 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple : +7/+24
Attack: Bite (+14 melee, 2d6+13)
Full Attack: Bite (+14 melee, 2d6+13)
Space/Reach: 15 feet/10 feet
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 feet, vermin traits
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 8, Con 18, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: Scorched Plateau, stony barrens
Organization: Solitary, pair, cluster (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Advancement: 11-12 HD (Huge), 13-14 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment:

Fortress beetles grow to a length of 25 feet, carrying sturdy, 15-foot-tall protective shells atop their backs. Much of the upper portion of these shells is hollow, with intricate and beautiful chambers formed during the growing process. These beetles are unable to fly, and it is the involution of their wings which is at the origin of the cavities present under their elytra. Access to the chambers requires lifting the elytra of the fortress beetle.

Ssurran use these docile insects as beasts of burden, filling their hollow shells with their most precious trade goods.

The load that can be carried by fortress beetles is as follows: light load up to 2.400 pounds, medium load between 2.400 and 4.800 pounds, heavy load beyond 4.800 pounds.

5 Likes

I always liked the idea of these guys and have often considered modelling some large toy Rhino beetles as fortress beetles with some of the original Dark Sun miniatures I have. There are some illustrations of what these look like in some of the early Athas artwork which I would use for reference.

Pretty busy with other projects at the moment but this has always been an idea I would like to explore, and there are some really detailed Rhino and other, beetle toys around these days that would suit such a conversion.

1 Like

If you like, we could talk to the boys from Spelljammer if you’d like a floorplan for that beauty. I know a cracking ship artist who helped us with Crimson Sphere

3 Likes

Why not ! I wondered doing one myself, but if you know an artist that is experienced with that kind of plans, we could see if he is interested/willing to do it.

2 Likes

I’ll PM you details.

1 Like

here ya go.

2 Likes

Yes that is exactly what I was talking about. In fact I suspect that is the very beetle I was thinking of converting. This even has one of the miniatures I use as a mull (the bald gladiator). I have six of the old crodlu pulled chariots from the original iteration of the game to accompany him.

Thanks for posting that so I can see that it works well to represent a fortress bug.

2 Likes

3 Likes