How do Halflings trade with non Halfling?

Hey sages,

My pcs are on a journey to Ogo. As they struggle through the great sand wastes. I got to thinking outside of Hamanus deal with Chief Urga (warriors for obsidian) I know very little about how they would trade with merchants.
Does anyone know of any other reference materials. I read the excerpt in the dune trader, but its missing the mechanics. Ie how much for how much. Would a sack of dimonds be worth a bronze dagger? Etc.

Trying to answer 2 main questions

1. How do Halflings assign value to items in trade?
  2. How savvy are they in their trading?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

I would still use the value of items in ceramic pieces as a guide to the value of an item to halflings. You may vary it as much as plus or minus 50%. Maybe more depending on the item.

But they probably aren’t trading ceramic pieces for items. Gems precious stones seem more likely. Small, easily-transportable objects that have real value.

For the most part, common items that are useful and valuable to other humanoids should have value to them.

I would also say they aren’t completely oblivious to trade outside their region. Unless you want to play them that way. There are examples of them integrating into other societies. And one, if I recall, runs a diner in Tyr.

Check out City-State of Tyr for stuff like:
Additionally, Stel maintains a monopoly on the trade routes to Malaka and Ogo where it trades with halfling tribes.

3 Likes

My players make regular trade with halflings from their outpost in a valley of the Ringing Mountains (Pallas Valley map and general information - campaign background).

I have their interactions be very binary (yes/no), because halflings are not at ease speaking and trading with potential food (and thinking the traders also see them as food).

I don’t use cp values for the trading, but try to think in terms of “usefulness” and “fancy” values for what the halflings will want to buy. Weapons, tools, clothes, fabric for the useful items, and jewelry, beads, ornaments, music instruments, or colorful items as fancy items for example.
So the deals can be very advantageous for players. Some items worth nearly nothing could be jackpot, and pricy items could be traded for less than their usual market price. Depending on the mood of the halflings, an item that was a big deal once might not gather any attention the next time.

I don’t know if it might be of interest to you, but halflings use giant iguanas, giant apes (gorilla-like) or big cats as pack mounts in my campaign.

Hope it helps

3 Likes

To get the joke out of the way:

“The problem with buying things from cannibals is it can cost an arm and a leg…” :drum:

6 Likes

Halfling:
Ahh, a new guest for dinner.
Nice to meat you.
We were fed up with our previous guests.

4 Likes

Absolutely it helps a ton!!! Amazing thank you!

Halfings are strictly barter and CPs or money has little value to them; what are they going to do? Go thousands of miles over the mountains to Uruk and go on a shopping-spree? So, what do Halflings value? Well, your furs you got from a Tyrian-noble are worth virtually-nothing, but, you bring the carcass of an Athasian-Sloth that’s been hunting the Halfling’s companions, that’s worth more than Gold.

1 Like

Ive been wondering when to add a sloth encounter! What things would the halflings barter with? I was thinking seeds, charms, furs, trained beasts? Just spitballing.

Plants unique to the Forest Ridge? New dyes, poisons, drugs? Exotic pets/food animals? Well-crafted weapons? Lumber?

2 Likes

Mostly hardwoods, mushrooms (toxic, psychotropic, edible, tinder fungus), resins, nectar, feathers, furs, berries (toxic, psychotropic, edible), fruits, all kinds of nuts, dried meats, acid produced by some plants (carnivorous), and as said by The_DMs_Revenge I would also add live animals, dyes and poisons.
They could also have access to crystals and gems.

2 Likes

Oddly enough information in Dune Trade implies that the halflings of Ogo have a large appetite for slaves. No explanation of what they do with those slave or why they want so many of them is provided but there but House Stel regularly trades them slaves for a number of things and House Ianto lost 200 slaves while on their way to trade with Ogo.

3 Likes

Because they are eating them.

3 Likes

I saw that, my pcs refuse to be slave traders and regularly spend money to free as many as they can then release them. That doesn’t mean the house that they are working with doesn’t have an argosy belly filled with them that the pcs are not allowed to see!
My pcs are trying to start their own Trading House and are looking for sustainable items to help them corner a market.

Thought in the moment. Does Athas have a equivalent to Silkworms?

3 Likes

Yes, the silk trade is mentioned a number of times in Dune Trader and I believe it’s also mentioned in City State of Tyr. It seems like there are silkworm farms around at least a couple of the City-States, Tyr being one of them iirc.

1 Like