What is the craziest old school dungeon you've converted to Athas?

I’ve heard of Expedition to Barrier Peaks being converted… but Tomb of Horrors or any of the Slavers mods? What did you do to Dark Sun-ify them?

5 Likes

M2 Vengeance of Alphaks. We were running a pretty high level campaign (mid-level Avangions, Elemental clerics, magic-using Rogues etc) and turned it into a transcontinental war across the Sea of Silt, contending with the SKs and the powers on the far coast beyond the Valley of the Cerulean Storm.

And we introduced Phanatons. To Athas. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

@Kalindren Sounds fun… what were you using for extended maps? The stuff from Cartographer’s Guild or home brew?

3 Likes

We used the map from DSR4 Valley of Dust and Fire for the outline, added some of the hex map stuff from M2 (this was early to mid '90s, before Cartographers Guild) for further detail, including some islands in the silt that weren’t on any canon maps. The fighter types provided the PCs army and the dune trader who was a silt skimmer merchant provided the transports and warships (obsidian engine silt skimmers).
It all went together surprisingly well, even if I’ve forgotten 90% of it.
We also put everything Al-Qadim went through the DS conversion mill, with the Geomancers from Ruined Kingdoms being a cabal that succeeded where Rajaat failed, in tapping into the life energy of Athas itself. The war against the Geomancers was retconned to be a prelim to the Preserver Jihad. The head geomancer, Tisan was an apprentice to Rajaat who accrued enough power to go toe to toe with him - a new Big Bad post FY10 with her own power source to boot.

6 Likes

This was waaay back in the 90s when I had a gigantic sandbox DS campaign with about 20 players. I added an Al-Qadim inspired city-state just south on the road from Balic. I let somebody play a Sha’ir. It was a pretty cool fit in Dark Sun. I had a lot of genies in my campaign.

I mined some 1E modules for some of the ruins. I think I put Tsojcanth in Kaldinay. I used Ghost Tower of Invernus as a “find the plot driven magic item” adventure. I changed all the monsters in both adventures to be various monsters from Athas and to be more powerful. Unless they were undead, then I just made them more powerful.

9 Likes

I converted The Village of Hommlett. It actually just needed minor tweeks. It was a keep, instead of a moat house and the big bad was a magma cleric. I changed the monsters to Dark Sun monsters and toned down all the treasure.

6 Likes

You know what? It would be cool to just take a fat stack of old 1st edition D&D adventures and adapt them to Dark Sun.

Like take the B1-9 module “In search of Adventure”, and amp it up for DS use!

6 Likes

Ran the Illithid Monstrous Arcana adventure trilogy years ago for DS. Took place in the Sundered Regions.

5 Likes

The entire Desert of Desolation trilogy. Amun-Re’s pyramid became the ziggurat of a lost sorcerer-king. The genies became elementals. Martek became Teklunard, a forgotten avangion. Was lots of fun.

8 Likes

I steal bits from those modules all the time.

2 Likes

Sinister Secret of Silt Marsh anyone?

3 Likes

I was thinking about this the other day, and came up with a list of great adventures to convert to Dark Sun.

Here’s what I have so far:

Old 1st and 2nd Edition Adventure Modules Which Convert Surprisingly Well to Dark Sun:

Wizard’s Challenge - Set within the veiled alliance in a town or city, the whole adventure plays like a clandestine secret war among spies, almost taking on a John Le Carre vibe.

Dark Clouds Gather - Set in an isolated plateau above the Thri-Kreen Empire, or perhaps the Dragon’s Crown or a similar terrain feature, it works surprisingly well.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - Perfect for the Jagged Cliffs, with mainly only encounter changes.

What do you guys think? Any more?

4 Likes

the only one in your list I’m somewhat familiar with is Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, and I agree, I think it would be great for Dark Sun. Actually, looks like someone may have already adapted it: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks Dark Sun Adaptation

6 Likes

Also, has anyone thought about converting Ravenloft to Dark Sun? I’m assuming Vlad would be replaced with a Sorcerer King? (Dregoth? Kalid-Ma?)

1 Like

Concerning Ravenloft:
This has been done. One of the FB group members wrote something that got posted on DriveThruRPG to work around the legal issues. I think it was 5E content.

The Expedition to Barrier Peaks rehash I’d seen before, but if I ran it I’d probably put my own spin on it.

2 Likes

couldn’t find the Dark Sun Ravenloft adventure on DriveThru.
In my search, however, I did stumble across The Touch of Death and Dawn of the Overmind, both of which look like they might make good fuel for Dark Sun.

1 Like

I’ve run Dawn of the Overmind and rest of the Illithid Trilogy in DS, but on the other side of the silt sea in the Sundered Regions.

2 Likes

Anyone tried Tale of the Comet on Athas?

2 Likes

I’d suggest Grimtooth’s Dungeon of Doom, only swap the materials with Athas appropriate ones.

2 Likes

I’m guessing this took a lot of work to convert (starting with the street names - “Maple Way”, “Ten Alders Road”).
Or did you maybe run it as a Green Age adventure (yet another reason the sun was dimming)?

(my thoughts on this, no doubt influenced by Blue and Green Age play ideas)