World maps for Athas

In terms of the development of the Tableland’s history – did any note, or incorporate, the fact that in Black Flames it talks about an Emperor of Yaramuke? I don’t think it’s ever clarified whether he preceded Sielba or what was going on there.

EDIT: I see Kadiran Firehand was addressed above. That’s one thing I love about DS-- there are also these weird one off references that give the sense that the world is bigger than what’s contained in the modules and supplements.

1 Like

If you’d like me to, willing to share at that point, I’d be interested to try to run them through my program and see what it looks like.

Where is this map located on the Athasian Cartographer’s guild?

It’s the ‘Northern Canyonlands’, grid E2, where Brian Sanchez stuck Dunswich, Andropinis’ hometown.

“Here is the majestic city of Yaramuke, carved from barren wilderness by the
hand of Emperor Kadiran Firehand a thousand generations ago. As the mural
shows, our city has prospered since its founding and since the coming of Empress
Sielba. Her palace is blessed by not only the physical representation of Emperor
Firehand, but also by the Eye of the Earth which is held in the tower of the Temple
of Earth’s Wonders. It is said that when the light of these blessings no longer shines
upon the door of the palace, Sielba’s rule will come to an end.” Per Black Flames, equal chances the whole thing is legit or just some construct by Sielba ala Badna and Abalech-Re.

My take is that Firehand wasn’t actually the founder of Yaramuke, but the earliest recorded Tanysh King who conquered the original Melai city, and Sielba was, among many things, a self-described historian who used a mix of actual history and mythologization to secure her rule as empress.
The information on the Tanysh and their connection to Draj (it’s a much, much later city but build on the banks of the inlet or lake that Tanys used to be an island in, it’s now the Plain of Singing Skulls) is reminiscent of Aztlán’s status as the mythical Nahua homeland, down to the swampy/marsh environment.

Though the information among the various netbooks is often contradictory (especially Dead Lands and Trembling Plains with the 3E corebook), the various origins of the city-states seems to be:

Waverly, Tyr, Giustenal, Bodach, Eldaarich, Eb (possibly Ur-Draxa), Balic: Reman, built by expats returning from the Reman continent to settle their mother 'Pristine" continent, had to have occurred within 2,000 years after the end of the Blue Age if Giustenal is 12,000 years old.

Tanys, Yorum, Ysmen, Carsys: Tanysh, build in what at the time was their ‘Heartland Steppes’

Yaramuke, Raam, Nibenay: built by the Melai, an ‘artistic people’ and one of the human subgroups

Celik was originally built by Lizardfolk, then taken over by Reman mercenaries hired to keep the Tanysh at bay, then resettled by either Remans or Tanysh after its psionic disaster

Urik, Gulg, and Draj all appear to be post-Cleansing Wars

Eldaarich is a bit contradictory between Wisdom of Sorrow and Prison-State, the latter says Daskinor founded the city on the site where he killed the last goblins in the world, but the former says it was already a Reman coastal outpost long before. No reason it couldn’t be both, I suppose.

4 Likes

Good stuff @darkinterloper

Where did you get the human tribe/subrace names from? The Malai, Tanysh, Reman?

I also see some city names where I got no clue where they are located - Tanys, Yorum, Ysmen, Carsys.

Per Wisdom of Sorrow (you can find it in the BWOA public resources files in the Lost Cities of the Trembling Plains sections), and expanded on in some of Braxa’s notes, there were 4 primary cultural groups of humans during the Green Age:
-The Tanysh, who lived on the island of Tanys in the lake/inlet that would eventually become the Maze of Draj, they were a highly militaristic society that quickly rediscovered bronze and island and used chariot technology to conquer much of the Pristine Continent (the continent on which the Tablelands are located), absorbing other humans under their rule and persecuting the other Rebirth races. They apparently changed the ‘World’s Age’ Calendar system to ‘King’s Age."
Their empire quickly collapsed into many tribes and kingdoms, but the martial legacy they left behind seems to carry over even into the Brown Age. Their homelands were the region north of Draj, and south of Hogalay, back then known as the ‘Heartland Steppe.’ Major cities included ‘Ysmen,’ ‘Yorum’ (where Myron, Hamanu’s predecessor, was from) and ‘Carsys’ (where Egendo, Borys’ predecessor, was from).All these cities are long gone, collapsed into the modern area known as the Tembo Turrets.

(I don’t know why in the heck Waverly is that far north, on nearly every map its down south of the Pristine Tower)
-The Remans, who were part of a multi-racial confederation of former Rhulisti Families, who sailed to another continent (apparently the first Elves included former Rhulisti bio-ship captains, who took their knowledge with them), composed of Humans, Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, and Pterrans. Their continent was small but quickly became the population and cultural capital of the Green Age, and they ferried many other races and cultures to other continents.
Eventually Reman expats came back to the Tablelands as mercenaries and settlers, first settling the islands of the Sunrise Sea (probably from the east, so island hopping onto Draxa/Ebe and beyond) then founding ports and outposts like Giustenal. Eventually Remans pushed inland, resettling the old halfling city of Tyr’agi (as modern Tyr) and breaking the power the Tanysh peoples held over the continent. Going by the various snippets in netbooks, the Reman language was the foundation for Athas’ version of the Common tongue, and their political structure such as the lawkeeper system, psiocracies, ect influenced the geopolitical landscape of the entire Green Age world.
-The Melai were apparently the original founders of the cities of Yaramuke, Raam, Kalidnay, and Nibenay, meaning they inhabited the lands of the northern Tablelands. They were apparently ‘artistic’ and were conquered by the Tanysh, functioning as tributaries but retaining their own culture. Eventually, when Remans pushed into the continent, they overthrew the Tanysh and adopted Reman systems.
-The Golt are mentioning as living in the ‘Golt Forests’ that covered the large peninsula where Guistenal and the Pristine Tower are located. They might be the ancestors of the Gulgans.
-The Geshur were a ‘peaceful’ people who settled around the Sea of Marnita, founding Saragar.

Beyond that there are three other major mentioned groups from the ‘Equatorial Continent,’ Athas’ third inhabitable continent. All were related to the Tanysh, from settlers brought over by Reman ships:
-The Kel Tan, who became Keltis’ army and eventually the Kurnans. They were apparently a maritime culture with a strong dislike of the lizardfolk for raiding shipping, but if Keltis is any example, and given the supposed nautical focus of Green Age Elves, might have gotten along better with Elves than most humans. Their symbol was a Wasp, the Clave system and other examples of Kurnan culture might have been a thing or later developments.
-The ‘Mountain Men’ who were the bulk of Daskinor’s armies. Not a sedentary agricultural society, they were evidently nomadic or herders, revered the element of air above all others, believing that their souls would ascend into the sky. They hated the Goblins and were easily convinced by Daskinor that the Goblins, a people who lived in the roots of mountains and revered earth, were heretical. Going by Lost Cities, the Mountain Men and Daskinor were some of the nastiest humans in the Cleansing Armies, what with the whole ‘flaying entire cities alive’ thing. The flaying was apparently ritual, as it denied the Goblins their supposed cremation burial rituals as part of the ‘Ash Cult.’
-What I’m referring to as the ‘Windborn’, the proto-Draj. Not much on them, besides that they, like the Tanysh, were probably a nomadic chariot-using culture, whether or not the pseudo-Aztec culture was their own or something entirely invented by Tec is anyone’s guess.

3 Likes

While searching for information that might help with flavor text for SotDL, I came across Ur-Braxa’s original Wisdom of Sorrow page, and the included maps, which have been upscaled to mixed effect. The most interesting thing to me is the coloring and detail, which implies that Reman, the ‘small but temperate continent’ is the northwesternmost, which would make Anattan the ‘Equatorial continent.;’ By extent, per Wisdom of Sorrow, The Kel Tan and Mountain Men, ancestors of the Kurnish and Eldaarish, respectively, came from Anattan originally.

Original Source: Wisdom of Sorrow

6 Likes

Hey Jhonny!

Good to see you again!

I need to talk to you about updates to the dead lands and obsidian. I’ll PM you.

I always love maps. Just one question - why has the Island of Shault moved a few hundred miles to the north east of where it should be?

It is my personal decision and is because such a green land protected by a powerful druid would be destroyed by the Dragon because is not under his control. In my opinion fits further better beyond the region controled by Borys.

4 Likes

thumbs up That makes sense. Without the context I was just confused. Let’s hope Eldaarich’s silt skimmer fleet doesn’t go too close - that druid can do some serious damage!

1 Like

She has her giants!! :wink:

1 Like

Interstingly Carsys actually has a location in Trembling Plains, its located just west of Azeth’s rest, next to the modern “Filthspoon’s Dustpit” (its former siltified bay)

Love your map, it was the base for my own Green Age attempt :smiley: My only personal edits were making the northern part of Faye’loryn’s forest the Scorched Forest and the southern forest on Anattan the “Meridional Forest” I’ve seen mentioned in talk about the eastern continent (ie the one that partly appears on the map for Valley of Dust and Fire"), and maybe moving around some of Sysane’s cities (like sharn being at the mouth of the northern river)

2 Likes

It’s crazy you managed to somehow reconcile the Anattan Wastes, Sundered Regions, and Spiral Lands.

3 Likes

Your location of Carsys has sense if you follow the Lynn Abbey information from her novels. But for me it is not canon at 100% (just the more reazonable data).
In my campaing humans come from East and considering the amount of locations on the West part of the continent —for me more than enough— I decided to locate Carsys towards East.

The reason because humans came from East is because they were born there. In my campaing there are more than one Pristine Tower. I called them Sun’s Towers or more exactly Ara’s Towers (because the Dark Sun has a name in my game —it is so important… almost like a character itself… that it needed a name—).

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

ooh neat, :grinning: I like the idea of more than one tower, even if the pristine tower is “the big one” maybe the rhulisti had some sort of “geomantic web”-style network of smaller support towers

2 Likes

I’ve toyed around with the idea of multiple towers as well. There’s also the mentions in the original Dark Sun book that there may be more than one dragon, with others in faraway lands. Perhaps Rajaat’s conspiracy to remake the world spans further than regions we’re familiar with.

There might be Dragons and/or Avangions in faraway lands as well as powerful lieutenants of Rajaat that are different entities entirely. I could definitely see Rajaat having trusted agents watch over the other towers while he personally handles things at the location he deems most important (the Tyr region).

2 Likes

I definitely head-canon multiple Towers to accommodate the transformation of a worldwide population of Halflings at the end of the Blue Age.

3 Likes

That’s it! For me rhulisti needed more than one tower to change oceans and sun. As you mention like a web through meridians or parallels.

I’ve located one in Sundra at the southeasternmost part where a silt basin has a mountain in the middle of it.

3 Likes